What is an education, health and care plan?

Education, health and care (EHC) plans bring together a child or young person’s education, health and social care needs into a single, legal document. The document sets out what extra support they will get to meet those needs.

EHC plans are for children and young people aged up to 25 who have special educational needs and need more support than is available through their pre-school, school or college establishment.

From 1 September 2014 EHC Plans started to replace statements of special educational needs. All children and young people in Lancashire who had a statement were assessed to be transferred to an EHC Plan by the end of March 2018.

There are several steps, including a formal assessment, before the council will decide if a child or young person needs an EHC plan.  If you are ready to request a formal assessment, you should complete a referral form. If you would like to know more about the process, our EHC plan pathway sets out the steps to getting an EHC plan in more detail.

If we decide you do not need an EHC plan, other support is available. This is called SEN support.

The following short film from Independent Support, with support from the Department for Education, explains what an education, health and care plan is and who can have one. 


Whichever step you are at, there is support available including:

Information from other organisations

The Special Needs Jungle have worked with the Department for Education to make a series of flow charts (external link) detailing the process for SEN Support, EHC Plans and what to do if your child is refused an assessment, a plan, or if you have a complaint.

Share this:
Rate this: